Thursday, February 18, 2010

UFC Fighters Frankie Edgar & Ricardo Almeida teach seminar for Haiti Relief Fundraiser



For those that do not know, I'm a martial artist, a black belt in Kenpo Karate & currently a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I started training at TCMA in Orangeburg, NY, before I decided to train at Renzo Gracies' academy in Manhattan. It was pretty cool to see every once in awhile to see Professor Ricardo Almeida come by and teach a seminar. But this time it was different, because it was for a better cause than enhancing our training, but trying to be a better person by helping out those who really need it, the people of Haiti. The amount raised was about $8,000 so woohoo for everyone who donated, whether they trained that night or not. So Professor Almeida and Frankie Edgar came up to teach. They taught 2 classes, which I think both were about a hour and a half each, but you could tell everyone was extremely interested in learning. How can you not take your training serious when you have lightweight contender(may I add Jersey native) Frankie Edgar & one of Renzo Gracie's top black belts teaching? Both of these guys have a fight in the next month and the one after, so they should be training, but they decided to teach us some techniques on a silver platter. Plus they had an autograph session, which didn't hurt.
Frankie Edgar is definitely a down to earth guy and I already knew Ricardo Almeida was, so I'm glad they did what they did. I asked Frankie what the worst part of training, while Professor Almeida was teaching the first class during his segment, and he said it was the travelling. Well, he said he had to do some UFC promo at Abu Dhabi and it was 13 hour flight there and 15 hour flight back, so I will agree that does suck. I tried to chat it up with him a bit while he was waiting to sign some autographs and he's a cool guy, I couldn't help it if I was in "fanboy" mode. Whatever. One thing that he mentioned when I asked that it must feel good to sign autographs and take pictures with the fans is that "if it wasn't for the fans, we(the fighters) wouldn't have jobs".
Frankie Edgar taught everyone some takedowns at least for the seminar session I trained at and Ricardo Almeida taught us some nice techniques from the ground. One thing that stood out from the seminar that Professor Almeida said was that every submission position was first a control position. Sometimes we may overlook that, so for those that train don't forget it. Overall the event was a success with people from various dojos on the mat and people donating to the Haiti Relief Fund. It's just great that these two great fighters, took the time out of their busy schedule for a good cause.


Frankie Edgar & I, you could see Ricardo Almeida showing a move in the background. Frankie is a cool guy, I tried busting his chops after the session because there was food and he was persuaded by a little kid to try a piece brownie. I realized that guy could kick my ass easily, luckily he was a good sport. A little piece is okay.


After the seminar. I never took a picture with Professor, so I figure let's get one. He donated a pair of tickets for UFC 111 for a raffle, I didn't win, but I have my tickets for it. He definitely a good guy and I try to learn as much as possible from him whenever he comes by to teach.


Stay No Less Than Stunningly Fresh,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment